Tuesday 12 March 2013

Newspaper Nails - How To

How to create your own Newspaper Nails:

I remember seeing newspaper nails for the first time and I instantly thought 'Wow! I want!' But like with my first encounter with the galaxy nails, I didn't attempt this style for a very long time because I thought it would be difficult and also I wasn't too sure how to do it, or if it would be worth finding the rubbing alcohol needed to do it.

So is it worth it? Yes! And all you need are the following items:
Your chosen nail paint; clear base and top coat; an article of your choice from your favourite newspaper; a small pair of scissors to cut the newspaper to size and some rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit.

I tracked down some surgical spirit at Superdrug but had to buy it online because they didn't sell it in my local store. It was only £1.35 for 200ml and luckily they were offering free p&p at that time, so I was pretty happy despite having to wait a short period of time for it to arrive before I could finally get cracking.


To create my newspaper nails I decided to get the preparation work out of the way first. On my commute to and from work there are free newspapers that I can pick up, which is great, because to make this nail art more fun I decided that I would always use cuttings from an article that is on topic and hot off the press.
Choose an article of your choice, preferably one with decent sized font where eat letter would be easily readable on your nail. Cut out 10 nail sized cuttings, for me, each one a little larger than the size of your nail.

Once you have done that, you can paint your nails. Apply base coat, then the colour of your choice and be sure to let each coat dry fully.

Now for the fun part! I opened the spirit bottle and poured the liquid into its own cap (quite handy), the amount you use should be just deep enough to fully cover each nail. To transfer the newspaper font from the cutting onto the nail, dip your painted (and fully dried) nail into the spirit for no longer than 5 seconds (you don't want your polish to melt) and then gently press a newspaper cutting onto the nail before gently peeling it off to reveal the nail art. Be careful to directly apply the cutting onto the nail without slipping or dragging it across, or you will end up smudging the print across the nail.
Repeat this process with the rest of your nails.

Allow each nail to dry for a few minutes before applying a clear top coat to add a glossy look and also to protect your hard work.

Newspaper Nails


The nail paint I used was a lilac pastel shade by Revlon and the article I used was from the paper that I had picked up on my way home from work that day - Red Bull and Felix Baumgartner's freefall jump from the edge of space! Other nail colours I have also tried this art on are a peach pastel shade and a white pastel shade by Barry M. I must say, it comes up really nice against the white! You should try it.

Let me know your thoughts on Newspaper Nails and your first time experiences with this too!

lvy <3





No comments:

Post a Comment