Monday 11 March 2013

Creating Nail Art with Sticky Tape

Sticky Tape Nail Art - so simple to achieve!

I would say that Sticky Tape Nail Art is one of the easiest ways to create stand out nails, especially if you are new to nail art or are short of time.
All you need are two colours of nail paint (or you could mix it up and use more than two colours of course), sticky tape and a small pair of scissors to cut the tape with. I always use a clear base coat and a clear top coat to seal the art work in and to add a bit of gloss over the top at the same time.

You can create many different looks with sticky tape and I decided on this occasion to paint coloured triangles at the base of each nail. I used a glossy black nail polish by Rimmel as the main colour and applied two coats (allowing each one to fully dry) on each nail.

Now for the tape! You have to be very careful with what tape you use because a cheap one could leave sticky remnants behind on your painted nail, and also a really strong tape could pull off some of the colour or the chemical on the adhesive part could warp the paint ever so slightly. 

I used the first roll of tape I could find at home and tested it out by starting on my little finger nail first - my logic for this is that if it went wrong I could always repaint it again and use a different tape if necessary. I cut a small strip of tape and stuck it onto my nail to form one side of the triangle shape and then again for the other side. Note: after cutting each strip I patted the sticky side with the pad of my finger to make the tackiness less potent so as to avoid ruining my painted nail.

I taped up a few nails at a time then painted/filled in the taped parts with a contrasting nail paint - this time I used a metallic gold shade called champagne by Models Own.

Sticky Tape Nail Art - Work in Progress

Afterwards, allow the paint to dry fully before adding a second coat (if required) and then you must allow the nail to dry before you carefully peel the tape off, to prevent from pulling some of the nail paint across the rest of the nail.

Once you have removed the tape, apply a generous coat of clear top coat, allow it to dry and then sit back and admire your handiwork!!!

Sticky Tape Nail Art - the finished result

What other colour combinations do you think would go well for Sticky Tape Nail Art?

lvy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment